Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:05:14 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         IAS <iasinfo@MEDIAONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Licensing Costs Again; WAS: Yet more thoughts on SAS for Linux

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:02:04 -0700, Mark S Dehaan wrote:

> Furthermore, I believe it often goes >"outside" our product base to items I never will use! That is >where I object most strongly!

This point needs to be amplified. Improvements to the existing product base often become new products for which SI charges an arm and a leg. Consider a product such as Insight which is a graphical extension of the procedures in Stat. Rather than replace the antique character based diagnostic plots in Proc Reg and Proc Factor, SI sells the improvements as a new product for another pound of flesh. The same thing can be said for Enterprise Miner (beaucoup pounds of flesh in this case). One last example that really gets my goat - conjoint analysis is done using Stat and the Marketing Research application. However, to create an orthogonal array which is integral in designing a conjoint study, you need to purchase QC. This strikes me as pure revenue enhancement. I have a client who does a lot of conjoint studies using SAS who actually purchased competing software to do orthogonal arrays because the entire competing package was cheaper than QC and had a one time license fee to boot.

It seems like every time that SI enhances a product that I use, the enhancement comes as a new module for which I need to pay extra.