Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:54:21 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         HERMANS1 <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re[2]: Security of a SAS dataset
Comments: To: Portfolio Information Corporation <portfolio.info@SNET.NET>

Bruce Johnson and Bernard Tremblay have pointed you in the right direction. Robin McEntire and I presented some examples of the use of Non-Informational Local ID's (NILID's) in a recent presentation at the CDC/ATSDR 7th Biennial Symposium on Statistical Methods (under the title "Data Privacy by Formal Design"). You can create a formal view of a database that links identify fields precisely but minimizes exposures of confidential or proprietary information. In preparing for the presentation I did not find much in the literature about securing data fields, but I did find references to formal design in database security.

Evben if you can mask key fields, that step alone does not necessarily prevent disclosure of private information. It seems safer to have a private kernel of identifying keys and a public data source containing only non-informational keys that link back to the private kernel. Sig

____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: Security of a SAS dataset Author: Portfolio Information Corporation <portfolio.info@SNET.NET> Date: 3/8/99 9:34 AM

Hi SAS-list, Does anyone know whether certain fields of a dataset could be restricted for access (e.g.. read only with a password or hide) while rest of the dataset is accessible. To explain this further, can we hide or restrict access to certain sensitive information such as SSN or Mother's maiden name etc. in a bank dataset, by applying a password access to these fields?

Mahinda Yapa please reply to: myapa@yahoo.com