Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:26:49 EDT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gerard Pauline <GPauline@FSMAIL.PACE.EDU>
Subject:      Version 7 On OS/390

Hi All !

Last week there were a few people discussing some version 7 implementation "stuff".

Has anyone installed V7 on an OS/390 yet ? We just installed V7 on ours (under VM/ESA, CMS 13). Our current production version is 6.09E TS460. A few things to note:

Product Size

We have SAS/Base, STAT, AF, ETS, FSP and GRAPH (I think that's it). Under v6.09E, all of these products fit on a minidisk that was 300 cylinders in size. For version 7, we now need a minidisk of just under 800 cylinders to hold the same products.

Execution

Under SAS 6.09E, the minimal amount of virtual storage to execute a simple program was 4 meg (SAS was installed in segments). The minimum now to execute a simple program such as "Data; X=1; Run;" is 14 meg !

We were told by tech support installing SAS in segments (which we always do for production) would "somewhat" reduce the minimum virtual storage requirement for version 7.

We started to install v7 in segments (DCSS); this is the same as installing SAS in the Link Pack Area (LPA) in MVS. We were setting it a level of 32 meg for the DCSS. There were a few "problems" (paging errors, etc).

A call to SAS tech support told us to set the segment threshold area higher, at least 70 to 80 meg !

In fairness to SI, they told us we'd be better off to wait till v8, when the memory usage problems would be addressed (I want to migrate some programs to SAS, and being able to use the 32 character length variable names in v7 would be a major convenience).

Haven't tried executing any test programs yet to see if there are any speed advantages. I'm basically going to wait till the segment installation is complete.

We also have to wait for a patch for our host sort. Apparently, there is some difficulty with SyncSort and version 7. SyncSort said the patch will be ready in about month.

Is the increase in resource utilization comparable to SAS V7 under MVS (as I've described under VM)? It seems that the v7-v8 scenario may be like the early v6 stuff: the initial 6.06 release had problems that were addressed/rectified in 6.07/08.

Any other OS/390 SAS V7 experiences ? At tomorrow's NYASUG meeting, the theme will be V7. There will be people presenting from SI, and hope to address some of these questions/issues with them. If anyone has anything they'd like me to bring up to them, drop me a note before 6:00 PM today.

Thanks.

-Gerry

Gerard T. Pauline Mgr, Internet Applications Computer Systems, DoIT Pace University

Ph: (212) 346-1706 Fx: (212) 346-1552 Em: Gerry@Pace.Edu