Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:42:58 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Dana Ross <danaross@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:   is variable aspect a constant?

Hello!

I have a question about defining variables that are used in test-retest correlations.

If I have a variable that is computed under the If statement, does that "If" condition make the new variable a constant? for instance, i have a computed variable "resefc" that is computed as the sum of responses 63-65. I have computed two other variables "resefc1" (which is resefc IF assess=1) and "resefc2" (which is resefc IF assess=2).

in this case, does the "assess" variable act as a constant? I ask because I am unable to do bivariate correlations on resefc1 and resefc2; i keep getting a message that indicates "one or more of the variables is a constant".

any help would be appreciated.

Dana Ross grad student University of Alabama at Birmingham

[text/html]