Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:00:04 -0300
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Hector E. Maletta" <hmaletta@OVERNET.COM.AR>
Subject:   Re: is variable aspect a constant?
Comments:   To: Dana Ross <danaross@MINDSPRING.COM>

Dana, if I read well your message, your new variable resefc1 will have a valid value only when recefc2 fails to be given a valid value, and vice versa. Then, there would be no case with a pair of valid values in recefc1 and recefc2, and no correlation could be computed between them!! (except you thoughtfully gave, say, a zero value to recefc1 when assess=2 and a zero value to recefc2 when assess=1).

On the other hand, it is logically possible, though seemingly unlikely, that all cases with assess=1 have the same value on recefc (or all cases with assess 2 have the same value on recefc), and this would generate the message you receive.

Hector Maletta Universidad del Salvador Buenos Aires, Argentina