Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:58:42 +1000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Tim Churches <tchur@BIGPOND.COM>
Subject:      Re: "SASR Integration Technologies Overview"

Sheryll Roberson writes: > To get a sneak preview of "SAS(r) Integration Technologies Overview", being > presented in the Emerging Tecnologies Session at SUGI 24, on Monday, 8:00 > AM, click on the url below. > http://www.sas.com/rnd/itech/ > Sheryll Roberson > USQA-Houston > (713) 354-7168 (office) > (713) 624-5401 (fax) > e-mail: robersonS@aetna.com

Hmmm, It all looks very promising and appears to be exactly what SI needs to do to keep SAS viable in an increasingly open and standards-driven computing world. However I noticed that the above Web page starts with the sentence:

"SAS Integration Technologies is a new and exciting product coming to SAS Software, Version 8. "

Maybe this is just an unfortunate use of language but it does seem to suggest that these goodies will only be available to those who are prepared to stump up with yet more licensing dollars, when in fact what is being described should surely be regarded as an upgrade to the core parts of SAS to bring it in to the third millenium. It seems that every new feature in SAS ends up as a new product these days. Pretty soon they'll be asking us to license SAS/LICENSE just so we can update our setinits.... Just to spell it out: every new SAS feature which appears as a new product rather than as an upgrade to existing products reduces the value of existing SAS licenses, since these are paid in the expectation that they cover improvements in and expansions to the functionality of currently licensed products.

Tim Churches