Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Apr 1999 02:29:12 +0200
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Boland Jason <Jason.Boland@ASTRA.AU.ASTRA.COM>
Subject:      DOS path names

Dear All

We have an application which we use to perform checks on our data. As part of this process, users assign themselves a new userid. A new subdirectory is then created for the userid. In the code this is done using:

data _null_ ; call system("md &dm\userarea\&user"); run;

where dm and user are previously defined macro variables.

The problem we are having is that our directories have been structured taking advantage of the Windows environment, i.e. directory names of length greater than 8 characters, spaces in the names and so on. What this means is that when it comes time to submit the system call DOS cannot recognise the path that we have enterred.

For example, to create a subdirectory under the following directory:

c:\jason boland\work\technical results\ridiculous

DOS would need a path of:

c:\jasonb~1\work\techni~1\ridicu~1

What I would like to know is if someone has or knows of a macro or program which could change the first path name into the second.

We don't want to simply specify the macro variable dm as the DOS version as we still refer to the full path name in %include statements and the like. Also there is the potential problem of having two subdirectories with the same first six characters (for example, if we had subdirectories called "technical results" and "technical summaries" then the former becomes "techni~1" under DOS while the latter becomes "techni~2") so blindly changing the name without thinking can lead to trouble.

Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Jason

---------------------------------------------------------------- Jason Boland Biostatistician Astra Pharmaceuticals Alma Rd North Ryde NSW 2113

Phone: (02) 9856 8211 Email: Jason.Boland@astra.au.astra.com