Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:44:49 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS Certification

S David Riba <dave@JADETEK.COM> wrote:

>Unfortunately, the only >impartial and objective way to measure that knowledge level is going to be >some kind of test. Ergo, we come full circle. The only objective way to >opt out of the certification test is to take a certification test.

The problem I see with the certification tests is not that they exist but we have no confidence in them. As far as I know, they're not peer reviewed - no one on SAS-L, at least, has admitted to being consulted about the usefulness of the questions or the correctness of the suggested answers. From what I've heard, some of the test questions *are* useless and some of the answers *are* arguably incorrect. The fact that SAS Institute participated in the creation of the tests does not, by itself, mean that the tests are valid.

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Development Manager, METRICS First Health, West Sacramento, California USA