Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:41:59 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "William W. Viergever" <wwvierg@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: certification tests (long)
Comments: To: John Iwaniszek <jiwanisz@QCHN.QUINTILES.COM>

At the SAS-L BOF at Sugi, Ian sort of blew Rick Langston out of the water with a question similar to this post, that I paraphrased as "it's this: SAS is getting into Certifications and enhancing it's Services arm - hence, are we obsolete?"

Rick, of course, swears not.

Time, I guess, will tell.

I'd better get back to work; later.

At 02:41 PM 4/27/99 -0400, John Iwaniszek wrote: >What keeps gnawing at me in this certification debate is that SAS is >creating an >environment that undermines my credibility (something I can do on my own). >Previously I was an experienced SAS programmer. Now I am an uncertified SAS >programer. > >They are creating a kind of company store situation where you have to by your >pick, shovel and dynamite from the guy that owns the mine. > >The lion's share of this certification issue was created by SAS, no doubt as a >marketing idea. Reasonable and otherwise competent professionals can debate >the >validity of the content domains. We do not know anything about the >psychometric >properties of the tests. No solid information is available about how the items >or scoring criteria were developed. We don't know how valid the constructs >are, >although we can guess on the basis of the content description >(http://www.sas.com/service/edu/certify/test1.html). In short these test might >stink . > >John

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- William W. Viergever Voice : (916) 483-8398 Viergever & Associates Fax : (916) 486-1488 A SAS Institute Quality Partner (USA) E-mail : wwvierg@ibm.net Sacramento, CA 95825

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter." {Satchel Paige} ----------------------------------------------------------------------------