Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 1999 18:14:56 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "D.R. Wahlgren" <wahlgren@MAIL.SDSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: From SPSS:  Suggested solution for SPSS for Mac users

In reply to my question (from early April, my apologies) about simply porting the windows SPSS app to the Mac platform, Kyle Weeks had replied with the message below. Just out of curiosity, I dangled his response in front of some Mac software developers. An interesting reply follows. I'm not intending this to be a flame, rather something possibly worth passing on to the SPSS developers. -dennis

>In order to deliver the most feature-rich and best-performing >software possible, we adopted the use of various Windows-based development >tools such as MFC and OLE/ActiveX, as well as support for such >Windows-specific features as ODBC. These technologies are not portable, and >the means for moving such Windows-based software to Mac have, in truth, been >slow to develop. >Regards. > >Kyle Weeks, Ph.D. >> Associate Market Manager >> SPSS Inc.

Reply: > > First of all, it is true that none of these tools except ODBC exist for > the Mac except as internal M$ tools. > > Second of all, to say that MFC and OLE/ActiveX are necessary to port a > statistical analysis package is ludicrous. MFC is generally known as > one of the most poorly designed class libraries ever made, and its lack > of availability for the Mac is not surprising given that it is > basically a thin wrapper for the Windows API. There are several Mac > equivalents (e.g. PowerPlant, MacApp, TCL, Whisper) not to mention > several cross-platform frameworks (e.g. AppMaker) that are far superior > to MFC. > > OLE/ActiveX is another horrid piece of technology that is no longer > ported (except by the Office group - which is where you may have seen > it) It is used for interapplication and cross-network communication and > has nothing to do with statistical analysis.