Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 18 May 1999 08:02:13 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Mark Lindeman <mtl4@COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject:   Re: From SPSS: Suggested solution for SPSS for Mac users
Comments:   To: "D.R. Wahlgren" <wahlgren@MAIL.SDSU.EDU>

Dennis Wahlgren quotes a Mac developer:

>> Second of all, to say that MFC and OLE/ActiveX are necessary to port a >> statistical analysis package is ludicrous. MFC is generally known as >> one of the most poorly designed class libraries ever made, and its lack >> of availability for the Mac is not surprising given that it is >> basically a thin wrapper for the Windows API. [...] >> OLE/ActiveX is another horrid piece of technology that is no longer >> ported (except by the Office group - which is where you may have seen >> it) It is used for interapplication and cross-network communication and >> has nothing to do with statistical analysis.

I see this developer's point of view. But having programmed for both Win32 and Mac, I can testify that _once you specialize_ on Windows [or Mac] with a graphics-intensive application -- which, like it or not, SPSS now is -- porting is a pain. The programmers might have made it easier by not going the MFC route, but don't let anyone tell you that it could have been easy. [SPSS for Java? I have my doubts!]

ActiveX may have nothing to do with statistical analysis, but I imagine that SPSS's interactive charts and probably its "edit-in-place-or-in-a-separate-window" pivot tables rely on it.

Mark Lindeman MTL4@columbia.edu