Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 May 1999 16:34:06 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Miller, Karen" <karenm@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbie Question

As if 4 options weren't enough.....you can also use this:

If you're computing new variables through the Tranform->Compute Variable dialog box, you can click the box labeled Type&Label under the Target Variable box, then for the Label choice, click the radio button for "Use expression as label". Now your variable label is your function.

This solution allows you to see the function, but it's not as easy to change it. You could go to the Variable Label dialog box in the Define Variables dialog box and copy/paste the variable label into syntax, change and run it. However, the variable label isn't exactly syntax, so you have to do some minor editing. For instance,

COMPUTE q10 = SUM(q1,q5) (COMPUTE)

has to be changed to:

COMPUTE q10 = SUM(q1,q5).

(delete the parenthesized command and add a command terminator).

Karen

Karen Miller Senior Manager, Technical Support SPSS Products & Services SPSS Inc. karenm@spss.com