Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:37:31 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Tim Dunsworth <Tim.Dunsworth@METROSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Transfer of files to SPSS

I don't understand why you are getting a DATA LIST-related error message. Are you trying to read this file using some syntax? That is quite unneccesary, since recent versions of SPSS can read Excel files directly (File, Open, type=Excel in the menu). To be sure it works, I kave found the following steps to be valuable: 1. know the data range you need to import (eg. A1:B200). 2. put varnames in row one, with nothing above them and just data below, then be sure to check the box in SPSS telling it to read varnames from row one. 3. Be sure the first data row is non-missing and of the desired data types (eg. a place-holding space will be read as character type and cause any numeric values below it to be lost). 4. If you have problems, resave your Excel file down to version 3 before importing it (the latest version that supported only single page worksheets), since this version seems to be a widely accepted data transfer format.

>>> Teresa Thorpe <thorpet@WILMINGTON.NET> 06/29 2:13 PM >>> I have amended data files to import from Excel into SPSS. I seem to be getting the same error message for all files, n is high (usually 200 + per sample) but I do have zero's in the dataset which have to remain.

Error message = warning No 1116 Under LIST input, insufficient data were contained on one record to fulfill the variable list. Remaining numeric variables have been set to the system-missing value and string variables have been set to blanks.

I have 2 columns of data; Gillnet mesh size which are integers and coded 1-10, and CPUE values (eg; 0.3, 1.3 etc.).

Any idea what is wrong here ?

Thanks Teresa Thorpe ----------------------- Center for Marine Science Research 7205 Wrightsville Avenue Wilmington, NC. 28403. Tel: 910-7902292 Fax: 910-2568856 thorpet@wilmington.net