Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:40:28 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Amanda Parriag <amandaparriag@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      questions on non-parametric data

I have two questions.

(1)When you do the marginal homogeneity test, which statistic (the observed MH statistic or the std. MH statistic I am guessing are most likely) do you report in your results section and how? I have never used this statistic before, nor seen it referred to in papers.

(2)I want to find two sets of correlations between three variables. One variable is a frequency count, one is a nominal variable and the other is ordinal. I need correlations between the frequency count and the nominal variable and a separate correlation between the frequency count and the ordinal variable. I computed regular Pearson correlations so far. I would like to know if I can do Pearsons (any kind of reference to back up a yes answer would be appreciated), and if not, should I be doing two different types of correlation, a Spearman's or a Kendall's tau_b? Or even an Eta?

Thank you.