Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:20:18 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         murrays4 <murrays4@GATEWAY.NET>
Subject:      Data entry for Hierarchical Clustering

I have done a cardsort with 40 cards and 65 subjects. For analyses I want to perform MDS and hierarchical clustering. Currently my data are in the form of the lower half of a 40x40 symetrical similarities matrix. To create a dissimilarities matrix, can I simply subtract the number of matches for each pair of cards from the total possible (65)? When I do this, the MDS solution seems to make sense, but the hierarchical clustering doesn't. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bill Murray