Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:26:05 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         RAITHEM <RAITHEM@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      (MVS) Re[2]: FW: Proc SQL Performance takes a hit from Neste
Comments: To: "Ashiru; Babatunde" <AshiruB@WHITEOAKSEMI.COM>

Barbatunde Ashiru posted the following:

><< >This is too much like my kids: "I know a secret, but I won't tell you".... >>> > >My post says: >"I will be more than glad to share the algorithm with any interested >SAS-Ler, however, portion of the complete code is deemed proprietary thusly, >I can only disseminate segments of the algorithm." > >The above statement didn't translate to knowing a secret and refusing to >reveal the secret; it merely states that releasing the entire code may >violate some trade secrets as defined by my organization and am not about to >risk losing my job over releasing data that may violate my company's >confidential and proprietary policies. It's NOT THE ALGORITHM that I am >trying to protect but rather pertinent company and industry specific data >that may be embedded in the code in its entirety. The assertion and >analogy, as stated above, are completely out of context. I offered to share >the algorithm and at least one SAS-Ler has requested and received the >algorithm. It's thus imperative for people to properly check the facts >before posting garbage to this highly revered and venerable list. >

Barbatunde, I want to thank you, publicly, for sharing your algorithm with me, as per my off-line (SAS-L-wise) request. I understood your need not to violate your organization's policies, and was glad that you could send me what you did. Having worked in a government organization that had a law enforcement side and a commercial side--wherein we had access to data that may have been trade-secrets oriented--I fully understand the need to cloak or to omit certain information from SAS-L postings. I have done it often, myself.

Guys, Barbatunde was gracious enough to share a large part of his code with me when I requested it. I wish that you could cut him some slack and at least understand the constraints that he is dealing with. If you want the code, send him a request, and I am sure that you will get the same helpful portion that I received.

I think that everybody means well in this case, but the hyperbole is starting to get out of control. Hey, lets all take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and enjoy another great Friday of being at work and checking the 'L for cool tips, comments, and solutions!

I hope that this answer proves helpful now, and in the future!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance." E-mail: raithem@westat.com Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ You only live once--but if you work it right, once is enough -- Joe E. Lewis ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++