Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:37:53 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dale Glaser <glaser@PACIFIC-SCIENCE.COM>
Subject:      Re: SPSS: t-test: two independent sample
Comments: To: Shail Dobson <dobson_shail@HOTMAIL.COM>

Assuming you mean n = 100 per group, the answer, in my opinion, is yes; even though I have seen some intro. texts divide hypothesis testing for two groups as follows: (1) if n is small (e.g., n < 30) and the population standard deviation is unknown then use the t distribution; (2) if n is large and the population standard deviation is known then use z distribution; however, a cursory glance at the research journals will find many examples of t-tests being employed when n is well over 30 per group; further as df increases for the t-distribution, it approximates the z-distribution (i.e., critical value for df > 120 = 1.96, when alpha = .05 for two-tailed test); however, I will be interested if other researchers differ in their opinions...............dale glaser

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Shail Dobson Sent: Thursday, August 19, 1999 12:02 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SPSS: t-test: two independent sample

Can independent t-test for means of two independent samples be performed for sample size over 100? If not, is there any other equivalent test available?

Thank you very much,

Shail