Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:48:47 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nichols, David" <nichols@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cluster Analysis

The only way that the order of cases can affect the results from CLUSTER is when you have tied distances. When the smallest distances between existing clusters (which are just cases at the beginning) are equal for two or more pairs, then the order can affect the results in that an arbitrary decision is made in terms of which pair to join. If I remember correctly, the search and replace algorithm that goes through the matrix replaces the marked minimum only if the new one is smaller, so in the case of ties, the first pair will be the one that gets joined.

David Nichols Principal Support Statistician and Manager of Statistical Support SPSS Inc.