Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:43:57 +0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Wen-Feng Hsiao <d8442803@STUDENT.NSYSU.EDU.TW>
Subject:      Re: comparing two datasets which are from different files.

Dear Lawrence,

It works, thanks a lot! Pardon me that I have a further question. I have two files which store the responses of subjects from two different classes separately. (Because I want to test whether these two groups are different, I store them in two files.) If I want to aggregate them (for example, I believe they are not significantly different), how can I do that in the SAS program. Maybe the easiest way is using Excel to join these two files into a new one, but I believe SAS has its own solution. Thanks for your patience.

The following code doesn't seem to work...

data set1; infile 'c:\dataset\set1.txt'; input v1 v2;

data set2; infile 'c:\dataset\set2.txt'; input v1 v2;

data set; merge set1 set2; run;

Wen-Feng

In article <382EF65C.F6714E79@duke.edu>, lawrence.muhlbaier@duke.edu says... > What you are doing in the first attempt is a one-to-one merge. You are > assuming that the data in dataset1 and dataset2 are arranged so that row > 1 matches up to row 1 in each data set, row 2 to row 2, etc. By using > two infile and input statement pairs, you are creating just one SAS > output dataset. > > PROC PRINT can only deal with one SAS dataset at a time, so you need to > reduce your data to one dataset before printing. You can do that in > your second example by adding the following code just before the RPOC > PRINT: > > DATA set; > MERGE set1 set2; > RUN; > > * and changing the PROC PRINT to: ; > > PROC PRINT DATA=set; > ... > > More general comparisons of datasets can be obtained by using PROC > COMPARE. >