Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:35:10 EST
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Philip Gallagher <PGall9898@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Creating delimited ASCII file from SAS dataset  -  DBMSCOPY

Julia Hertl wrote asking how to create a tab or comma delimited file from a SAS dataset.

Julia, the coward's way out (which is very much easier if you have free access to the software) is to use DBMSCOPY. You would invoke the DBMSCOPY program, answer a few questions, and Presto! The desired file appears.

The author of this software sent a brief note to SAS-L describing the product within the last few days, but I expect you would rather use a colleague's copy if you have only a few files to convert. I bought my own copy recently because it is a lifesaver for someone like me who may be out in the field with only a onetime chance to do the job that is required. To risk sounding like a shill, all of the friends whose professional judgment I most respect have used this product for almost a decade. That persuaded me to cough up the $295 for my own copy, but I don't expect others to do more than write their dataset(s) out to a diskette and find a friend with a legitimate (paid for) copy.

Good luck - use SAS to do it if one or more of the suggestions from other SAS_l-ers rings a bell with you, or use DBMSCOPY if you are desperate and want something that will work first time without much effort.

Phil Gallagher Nantucket and Chapel Hill