Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 1999 01:17:46 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Lou Pogoda <lpogoda@HOME.NOSPAM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need to detect empty file; How?

If you need a macro variable, the following code will set macro variable "found" to 0 or 1, depending on whether the data set is empty or not empty respectively.

data _null_; if howmany > 0 then found = 1; else found = 0; call symput('found', found); stop; set smallfile nobs = howmany; run;

If you need SCL, I don't have a manual at home, but take a look at ATTRN. One of the attributes you can check for is the number of observations.

Robin baker wrote in message <384d4809.148930@news1.on.sympatico.ca>... >The simple code following can create an empty data set sometimes, I >need to detect this and stop the next process. > >DATA SMALLFLE; > SET BIGFLE; > WHERE SALRY > 10000; >RUN; > >I know there is a simple method, but I am using SAS 6.12 and what I am >doing is not working. >Sample code would be appreciated. >Base SAS or SCL method or both would be very nice. >Thanks in advance. >Robin