Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:55:05 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Diana Noble <diana.noble@PRUDENTIAL.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS ver 6.12 Find Command with Special Characters on Win
Comments:   To: J.Groeneveld@itgroups.com, Whitloi@westat.com

Jim / Ian:

It is interesting that one can learn to fool the SAS editor into doing the right thing. I appreciate the additional knowledge about the %nrstr function. Both of your solutions worked fine for me.

I believe that for the sake for fast, quick searches, I shall simply perform my search for the word "Macro" without the % sign. Which only means of course, that someday, something will come up which will force me to use this technique, to prove the folly of my quick and dirty ways.

Many happy returns of the season,

Diana Noble Prudential

---------------------- Forwarded by Diana Noble/IIG/Prudential on 12/15/99 12:50 PM ---------------------------

Jim Groeneveld <J.Groeneveld@ITGroups.com> Wednesday December 15, 1999 10:24 AM To: "'WHITLOI1'" <WHITLOI1@WESTAT.COM> "'Diana Noble'" <diana.noble@prudential.com> cc: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (bcc: Diana Noble/IIG/Prudential) Subject: RE: SAS ver 6.12 Find Command with Special Characters on Win

Diana / Ian,

Shouldn't the code, as Ian states it in his reply: %nrstr(%macro) instead be: %nrstr(%%macro) ( a double percent sign) thus escaping the percent character? The double % becomes a single one while the macro code is being interpreted, but remains unresolved by the %NRSTR macro function, and the literal text '%macro' is thus available for further processing, like searching. Or is it one of the other macro functions that makes doubling the percent sign superfluous? I have been experimenting with those functions, but what they do exactly and their differences are not yet completely clear to me. I remember to obtain desired results using the above mentioned construct.

Regards - Jim. -- Y. Groeneveld, MSc IMRO TRAMARKO tel. +31 412 407 070 senior statistician, P.O. Box 1 fax. +31 412 407 080 head IT department 5350 AA BERGHEM IMRO TRAMARKO: a CRO J.Groeneveld@ITGroups.com the Netherlands in clinical research

I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy, compatible y

"My job is to keep my computer working." - Jim Groeneveld