Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:19:56 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         RHOADSM1 <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing/Deleting an occurrence of a string in a field
Comments: To: "LINCK; JIM" <LINCK@SIMON.ROCHESTER.EDU>

<<Jim Link asks>> I have an approximately 32 character field in a couple SAS data sets that I am trying to match up. One of the problems caused in the matching is that " INC " and " CORP " (with spaces so they are not part of the name) are sometimes mixed and matched. While I can easily compress out instances of single characters, I do not know how to compress out and/or replace instances of a whole string with another whole string. That is, I'd like to do a couple things: 1. Get rid of all instances of " INC " and " CORP " in the variable 2. Replace all instances " INC " with " CORP " <<end quote>>

Once again, Tech Report P-222 comes to the rescue, in the form of the TRANWRD function:

DATA _NULL_; LENGTH OldVar NewVar1 $ 32 NewVar2 $ 33; /* Use & to include single embedded blanks in value */ INPUT OldVar &; NewVar1 = TRANWRD(OldVar, ' INC ', ' '); NewVar1 = TRANWRD(NewVar1, ' CORP ', ' '); NewVar2 = TRANWRD(OldVar, ' INC ', ' CORP '); PUT _ALL_; CARDS; SAS INSTITUTE INC MICROSOFT INC CORNING CORP WESTAT RUN;

Mike Rhoads Westat (neither CORP nor INC) RhoadsM1@Westat.com