Does anyone on the list use Venn Diagrams to communicate, and if so, how do you create them?  In the past, I've created them manually (most often) or with Office's generator.  I use them once or twice in a report, and usually take quite a bit of time to get the relative sizes and overlaps approximately correct.  For my current project, I'm probably going to use a few more, so I just embarked on a search for tools - paid and free.  The tools I've found so far aren't all that suitable for what I want to do.  Perhaps that's because the only good looking and reasonably accurate Venn Diagrams have only 2 or 3 circles, so more complex visualization is used larger sets of data. But that’s the situation I usually find myself – 2 or 3 would work fine.

The most promising tools I've found so far:

VennMaster.  This takes raw data files containing all the overlaps and generates an SVG file that can be edited.  The biggest problem, from my perspective as someone trying to create reasonably good looking charts, is that the circles aren’t circles but polygons.  With 128 edges (the maximum) they don’t look too bad, but not as good as a true circle (I understand a circle is not going to be as accurate).

3 Venn Applet from the University of Kent, England. http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/pjr/EulerVennCircles/EulerVennApplet.html This works by inputting all the overlaps and non-overlaps, which is more work than VennMaster. But the output is just displayed on screen, so the only real use I could see for it would be to look at the relative sizes and recreate.

From what I read about R, it doesn’t inspire me to make the time investment, but perhaps the article was not up-to-date.

Any better ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Mike Pritchard | mikep@5circles.com | 5 Circles Research | 425-444-3410 (c) | 425-968-3883 (o)

Research to help companies build products that people buy