Why am I getting Monitor Report entries or
bounces for an address that's not on my list?
If an error occurs only once for an address (rather than every time a post is
sent), especially if the address is nonsensical and/or has no associated full
name, Listserv is probably reporting that
- someone attempted to post to your list (probably a spammer) and Listserv
replied 'you are not authorized to post'
- the reply bounced
- Listserv included the address in the monitor report: it'll age off in a few days.
This is annoying for the list owner, but doesn't indicate a security problem with
If the error isn't for a subscriber you recently deleted, the problem is probably
that the person is subscribed at a slightly (or very) different address.
The first thing to do is to review your list, and scan for a similar address:
If the culprit does not turn up, possibly
a subscriber has forwarded mail from the subscribed account to an
account with a completely unrelated name.
You may want to write us at
email@example.com for help on these.
- subscription may be at a sub-domain, ie. firstname.lastname@example.org
rather than email@example.com
- look for person by name rather than email address
- look at all subscriptions in a given domain.
- see the List Owner's Manual
for more suggestions.