From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:24:09 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:02:32 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MrSID Content Server
Sender: [log in to unmask]

      Our library has recently purchased the MrSID Content Server for
distributing high resolution images of maps and aerial photographs on the
Internet.  We have managed to get the program running after a fashion, but
I am having a great deal of difficulty in making even simple changes in
directory structure and the appearance of Web pages.  The documentation
seems to be designed for people who are familiar with XML, server
architecture, and programming.  LizardTech has been helpful in providing
technical support, but I would like to be able to work with the software
myself.

      This brings me to some questions.  Has anyone encountered a "MrSID
Content Server for Dummies?"  Has anyone attended or given a workshop for
beginners on serving up MrSID images on the Internet?  Are there enough
people working with this program to justify holding a workshop on it at ALA
or elsewhere?  Or is this subject too specialized and technical for most
map librarians to invest time in?

David Allen
Map Collection
SUNY Stony Brook