From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark E. Ryavec
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:19:09 -0400
Dear Sirs and Madams:

Ms. Cheryl Woods, the Map Curator at the University of Western Ontario,
suggested that I provide you with information regarding the 2001 National
Atlas of Slovenia and other books imported by Books of Slovenia from
Slovenia for distribution in North America.  If I can provide any further
information, please contact me.

Also attached is a June 1, 2001 review of the atlas from the Library
Journal.

I have been told by the arts editor at the LJ that the book "Handicrafts of
Slovenia", which will be of interest to cultural geographers, will be
reviewed in the Library Journal's Oct. 15th edition.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

M. Ryavec
Books of Slovenia

Eight publications from Slovenia are now available for the first time in
North America.

National Atlas of Slovenia - This is a great reference book for students of
all ages and a captivating portrait of Slovenia to share with friends or
give as a gift.  It was produced by a team of geographers, historians and
social scientists to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Slovenia’s
independence.  Chapters address geography, cartography and terrain as well
as landscapes, colonization and settlements, population trends, emigration
and Slovenian communities abroad, economy, infrastructure and environment.
The atlas has 106 maps, including historic drawings of Slovenian towns and
regions, 76 color photographs and 24 tables and graphs in its nearly two
hundred pages.  Cloth-bound edition - $75.00 (ISBN - 961-209-213-3);
special numbered leather-bound collector’s edition - $100.00 (ISBN –
961-209-215-X).  Also available in Slovenian (ISBN- 961-209-226-5).

SLOVENIA – This is considered the best photographic portrait of Slovenia
ever published.  Written by veteran Slovenian journalist Stane Stanic, it
has over 250 color photos and 286 pages, including stunning pictures of the
Slovenian countryside, and a well-written text covering the nation’s
history.  It costs $100.  (ISBN 1 871489 18 0).

Handicrafts of Slovenia – Encounters with Contemporary Slovene Craftsmen.
This comprehensive book presents the work of over 200 Slovenian
craftspersons producing traditional craft and folk art as well as
contemporary designs, from carved wood and woven straw to lace-etched eggs,
glassware and sculpted stone.  The book, by ethnologist Janez Bogataj,
memorializes the “Treasures of Slovenia” exhibition which was presented
around the world.  Included is a guide to artisans by region with contact
information for those who wish to visit these artists in person.  With 315
pages and 532 color photos, it costs $100 (ISBN - 961-209-083-1).  A
special collector’s edition is $125 (ISBN - 961-209-078-5).

Architectural Guide to Ljubljana - This is the first comprehensive review
of Ljubljana’s most architecturally significant buildings.  It introduces
100 buildings and includes walking tours.  The authors are Plecnik expert
Andrej Hrausky and Janez Kozelj, a professor of architecture.   The book
includes 289 color photographs in 252 pages.  In paperback the price is $48
(ISBN - 961-209-250-8); a special limited edition hard cover version with
silver edging is $85 (ISBN - 961-209-252-4).

Plecnik’s Market in Ljubljana  - This portrait was occasioned by the
extensive renovation of Ljubljana’s famous Central Market, one of the most
distinctive architectural symbols of the Slovenian capitol.  On one side
the structure recreates a fortified ramparts running along the Ljubljanica
River.  On the other, the structure’s many commercial shops and stalls open
to the old town and open-air market nestled below Ljubljana Castle.  The
authors are art historian Asja Petric, Plecnik expert Dr. Peter Krecic and
Aleks Bassin, director of the Municipal Gallery of Ljubljana.  Photographs
are by Branko Cvetkovic.  Includes 54 color and 22 b/w photos in 121
pages.  Price - $80 (ISBN - 961-209-033-5).

Plecnik’s Treasures: Ciboriums, Monstrances and Sacramentariums - The
discovery of decorative vessels for liturgical service designed by master
architect Joze Plecnik came as a revelation. This work presents almost 200
color photos of Plecnik’s gorgeous sacramental vessels over its 132 pages.
The authors are Plecnik expert Dr. Peter Krecic and Rok Kvaternik; photos
by Janez Puksic.  Price - $80. (ISBN – 961-209-051-3).

Also available:

Slovenian Emigrant Literature (Slovenska Izseljenska Knjizevnost) - This
three-book set in Slovenian chronicles the lives and writing of noteworthy
Slovenian emigrant writers the world over.  The set costs $95.  (ISBN
961-6182-69-2,961-6182-74-9, 961-6182-76-5)

Plecnik’s Drawings of Chalices – This is a limited edition reproduction of
nine original drawings of Plecnik’s sacramental chalices. The portfolio of
24” by 16” lithographs is suitable for framing to decorate either home or
office.  Included in the portfolio is a catalogue prepared by Plecnik
scholar Dr. Peter Krecic illuminating the design of each of the nine
vessels.  The price is $380 (ISBN-961-209-054-8).

These books are imported by Books of Slovenia, a division of Delphi
Associates. To order, please send a check or purchase order to Delphi
Associates at 453 Rialto Avenue, Venice, CA  90291.  Prices include
shipping and handling.  Be sure to indicate the book(s) desired and allow
several weeks for delivery.  For information call (310) 392 4843 or email

NATIONAL ATLAS OF SLOVENIA (BOOK)
Bogataj, Janez & others.
National Atlas of Slovenia.
Rokus Pub., dist. by Books of Slovenia, div. of Delphi Assoc.
2002. 191p. tr. from Slovenian by Maple-Lipa Trans. & Delphi
Assoc. photogs. maps. bibliog. index. ISBN 961-209-213-3. $75.
ref
It is indeed impressive when a country that is smaller than Lake Ontario
and
has about two million people fewer than many U.S. cities can put out a
national atlas as well presented as this one. This work is based on the
first national atlas of Slovenia, Geografski Atlas Slovenije, which
included
maps at a scale of 1:750,000. The English-language edition includes maps at

a scale of 1:1,000,000 160 in all, plus 76 color photographs and 24 tables
and graphs. The handsome atlas begins with an introductory section of about

ten pages, which discusses statistics and provides a solid overview of the
country's geography as well as its culture, history, and political
structure. This is followed by thematic sections (e.g., geography and
cartography, landscape, population, economy, and environment) and then by a

geographic-names index. It ends with a list of geographical landform names
in five languages (Slovenian, English, German, French, and Spanish) and a
useful and quite lengthy bibliography (in Slovenian). For reference
collections in public and academic libraries.

~~~~~~~~

By Mary Lynette, Larsgaard, Univ. of California Lib., Santa Barbara