From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
tony campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:21:32 -0500
                   [posted to the MapHist, Maps-L and LIBER GdeC lists]

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on MapHist about the need for
better listings of works in the History of Cartography, in languages
other than English.  This was in the context of Evelyn Edson's
"Bibliographic Essay", which I mounted on the 'Map History' site <
http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/edson.html  >. If you look at that page you
will see that an explanatory note has now been added.

Several people made suggestions about non-English references but, as
far as I know, only one person took any action.  Markus Oehrli sent me
a long list of German-language references.  These have now been
included in the February update to my 'Web Articles' page <
http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/webtexts.html >.  Most are listed under
'Europe: Switzerland', and I have used the opportunity to thank Markus
publicly there.

What about other countries and languanges?   My listing of web-mounted
texts in our subject [the only one of its kind and now totalling
several hundred links] will inevitably have an English-language bias
unless people send me details of relevant pages in *other* languages.
I am sure that Jürg Bühler would also like the information for his
bibliographical listings, arranged by language <
http://www.maps.ethz.ch/gdc-education2.html >.

Please reply to me OFFLIST.  Thank you.

Tony Campbell