From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:03:46 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:49:09 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: map librarianship course
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Research Methods and Resources for Students
and Practitioners: A Partnership of The New York Public Library
Research Libraries and Pratt SILS

Three intensive learning experiences from May 20 through June 29, 2001

Beginning in Summer 2002, Pratt's School of Library and Information Science
(SILS) will offer a suite of institutes based on the collections of the
Humanities and Social Sciences Library of The New York Public Library. This
Summer, the Program features the Institute on Special Collections, offered
for its fourth year, followed by two new institutes working with the
Library's Art and Map collections. NYPL's Digital Library initiatives will
also be featured in each course.
     The Staff of each of the Library's divisions will form the core of the
faculty. Thus, the experiences will be doubly rewarding for students who
will be exposed to the expert knowledge of curators, as well as to
collections that are among the finest in the world. The Institute on
Special Collections will be offered May 20-31, the Art Institute, from June
3-14 and the Map Institute from June 17 through 29.
     Each institute will be limited to 15 participants. These institutes
are ideal for practitioners who want to expand career opportunities by
gaining an in-depth knowledge of highly specialized collections.  For
students pursuing a master's degree in any accredited school, these courses
provide great opportunities to learn and practice research skills.
     Each institute is a three-credit graduate level course, and will be
coordinated by Pratt's School of Information and Library Science. Plans are
to expand the institutes in future summers to cover topics such as the book
arts/history of printing, conservation and preservation, manuscripts and
archives.
     Anne Woodsworth, Dean of the School of Information and Library Science
at Pratt said "The faculty at SILS are truly excited about this partnership
since it stretches us to embrace experts in the field as true partners in
the teaching process.  Needless to say, having access to NYPL's wonderful
collections and librarians is a gift that we would be foolish to deny our
students."
     The Director of NYPL's Humanities and Social Sciences Library, Rodney
Phillips, adds "This initiative is very important for us in the Humanities
and Social Sciences Library, as we endeavor to become a more integral part
of the educational process. What partner could be more important than our
own professional educational institutions? Our librarians and curators look
forward to working with Pratt."

For further information contact Dr. Anne Woodsworth at 718-636-3710 or
e-mail [log in to unmask]

Needless to say, no one I know or will ever see again, is allowed to take
this course!! ACH

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027
--- End Forwarded Message ---