From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 14:41:20 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 22:31:13 -0500
From: Stroeve <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Chicago Map Society meeting - 18 May
Sender: Stroeve <[log in to unmask]>

THE CHICAGO MAP SOCIETY
The Newberry Library
60 W. Walton Street, Chicago, Illinois 60610-3380

MAY  MEETING

Place: The Newberry Library, Towner Fellows' Lounge
Time: 5:30 - 7:00 PM, Thursday, 18 May 2000
Program: Diane Dillon, Maps of the White City, 1893.

The World's Columbian Exposition, for which Chicago built a "White
City" on the lakeshore, was one of the most notable of World's Fairs.
For
Chicago, it was an epochal event in the cultural and social life of the
city, with a profound impact on art and architecture, urban planning,
literature, philanthropy, and . . . the making of maps.  Diane Dillon,
Assistant Professor of Art History at Northwestern University and a
Newberry Library fellow, will illustrate and discuss the wide variety of
maps and views which were produced to promote and construct the grounds,
to guide visitors, and to advertise products and places at the fair.

As usual, we will gather at 5:30 for refreshments.  At 6:00 we will
convene for a brief business meeting to elect officers and board
members,
followed immediately by the talk.

non-member fee of $5

for more information, contact
Robert W. Karrow, Jr., Curator of Special Collections and Curator of
Maps,
Roger & Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections, The Newberry
Library, 60 W. Walton Street, Chicago, Illinois 60610-3305.  Tel:
312-255-3554.  FAX: 312-255-3646.  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Our Web Page, including catalog of holdings cataloged since 1978:
http://www.newberry.org
--- End Forwarded Message ---