From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 12:07:02 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:35:43 +0100
From: Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Pan American Highway
Sender: Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>

>"For a project I'm currently working on I need the course of the Pan
>American Highway through Mexico. Unfortunately I don't have much
>information, and it contradicts itself quite a bit.

George Stewart's 1957 book "N.A. 1: Looking South" includes this
explanation (p. 36):

"From border to capital the ribbon of pavement leads on for 1325 miles. The
route includes the whole of Mexico 45 [beginning at Cd. Juarez], and then
for the last hundred miles follows Mexico 85, the original Pan-American
Highway extending south from Laredo.  This section . . . is now general
distinguished as the Central Highway, although official Mexican usage
allows the name Pan-American to be applied to all of the chief roads
extending south from the border."

The accompanying map shows his route, via Juarez, Villa Ahumada, Chihuahua,
Camargo, Jiménez, Parral, La Zarca, Rodeo, Durango, Fresnillo, Zacatecas,
Aguascalientes, León, Querétaro, Pachuca, and into Cd. México.  From the
capital south, his route was via Puebla, Matamoros, Oaxaca, Tehuantepec,
Zanatepec, San Cristóbal las Casas, entering Guatemala at El Ocotal.

If you are unable to find the book (LCCN 56-13185), I'll be happy to copy
and send the maps, by mail, fax, or e-mail.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics

--- End Forwarded Message ---