From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:04:15 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:39:34 -0500
From: --X-GM-USER-- <[log in to unmask]>
To: John Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: global GIS maritime boundaries

Dear MAPS-L subscribers,

East View Cartographic publishes a GIS product that partially responds to these requirements, and it is priced quite reasonably (we think!).  While it does not include the 200-nm EEZ, it does offer very accurate and authoritative depictions of global maritime boundaries at the 12-nautical mile range, as well as the baselines used to construct these boundaries. (Technically, we believe, these baselines--not the actual coastlines--should be considered when generating 200-nm EEZ data.) Specifically, our product, which is based on the most recent edition of NIMA's World Vector Shoreline (WVS) 1:250,000 scale data set, includes:

Coastlines/Countries/Oceans
Maritime Boundaries
Maritime Boundaries Supplemental

(1) Maritime Boundaries

This coverage contains the limits of sovereignty for each country as recognized by DoD 2005.1-M (the Maritime Claims Reference Manual) and a feature representing the combined land and water area of each country.

(2) Maritime Boundaries Supplemental

This coverage contains the baselines used to construct the maritime boundaries found in the MAB coverage (as defined by DoD 2005.1-M), as well as certain maritime boundary limits claimed by a country (beyond the DoD 2005.1M recognized limit) and corresponding seaward extensions of international boundaries.

More information can be found at:

http://www.cartographic.com/geospatial_data_vector.asp

It ships immediately in SHP, TAB and VPF formats.  It's quite similar to competitors' products, we think, for about 1/10th the price!

Sincerely,

Geoffrey A. Forbes
Director of Operations

East View Cartographic, Inc.