From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:06:42 -0400

Good morning, Mary Frances suggested I follow up with you on advertising the Curator of Maps position at the Boston Public Library that we would like put on the listserv. The advertisement is attached and in text below. Thank you! Kelly Dinneen BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY Curator of Maps (P5) Duties: Under the direction of the Library President or designee, the Curator of Maps is responsible for the maintenance, development and services of the map collections of the Boston Public Library both for the general public and the scholarly community. To that effect, he/she: 1) Plans and supervises the organization, access, services, preservation, and acquisitions of the collection of maps and atlases in the Boston Public Library Map Center and throughout the Boston Public Library system. 2) Initiates and implements the acquisition of new maps and related materials to strengthen existing library resources, including overseeing a budget for purchase of these materials and seeking opportunities for external funding for ongoing acquisition needs. 3) Promotes understanding of the importance and relevance of maps in the public library setting. 4) Supervises the organization and cataloging of the collections including the applications of new technologies in order to facilitate the use of the map collection resources. 5) Advises the library administration and other staff in the general field of maps. Qualifications: Masters Degree from an accredited college or university and a Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited library school. Subject knowledge and professional experience in maps and allied fields and demonstrated abilities in map collection work including preservation and access. Advanced degree in related field is desirable. In exceptional instances, specialized education, training, and/or experience may be substituted for part or all of the educational requirements. Ten years of appropriate library experience or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate ability to do the work. Desired Attributes: Proven skills in oral and written communications; superior ability and willingness to assume responsibility; initiative in generating new ideas; proven ability to plan and supervise the work of others; continuing interest in and ability to improve existing work techniques and procedures; demonstrated ability to work successfully with staff and public alike; commitment to library leadership; resourcefulness; willingness and proven ability to work with patrons of all age groups; professional demeanor; tact, dependability, enthusiasm, good judgment and courtesy. Salary range: $50,671 - $68,404, DOQ. The Boston Public Library offers a generous benefits package including up to six weeks of vacation, fifteen sick days, personal time, group health which is 90% employer paid, 100% employer paid dental/vision plan, guaranteed pension plan, deferred compensation opportunities, and professional development. Must be a Resident of the City of Boston upon first day of hire. Please send Resume and Cover Letter to: Boston Public Library Attention: Human Resources 700 Boylston Street Boston, MA 02117 Or Fax to: (617) 266 - 4673 Or Email to: [log in to unmask] -----Original Message----- From: Mary Frances O'Brien [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 11:00 AM To: 'Kelly Dinneen' Subject: FW: Curator of Maps position at the Boston Public Library Hi Kelly, I am forwarding the response from the MAGERT contact. Can you follow up on this? Mary Frances O'Brien Assistant to the Director of Public Service Boston Public Library 700 Boylston St. Boston, MA 02116 (617) 859-2194 [log in to unmask] -----Original Message----- From: magert [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 8:46 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Curator of Maps position at the Boston Public Library Hello Mary Francis,     Thanks for your note about the Curator of Maps at the Boston Public Library. Most Magert members read the listserv Maps-L. You can send a message to [log in to unmask]   Also, Mark Thomas ([log in to unmask]) is the editor of the Magert newsletter and he could help you with an ad.    Best wishes,          Melissa Lamont Mary Frances O'Brien wrote: Hello, I am a member of MAGERT and hope that there is some way I could advertise for applicants for a newly established position of Curator of Maps at the Boston Public Library.We are advertising through other organizations, but believe that the MAGERT membership would be most interested in this position.Please let me know if there is a procedure through which we may advertise for this position among MAGERT members. Thank you so much for your attention to this matter. Mary Frances O'Brien Assistant to the Director of Public Service Boston Public Library 700 Boylston St. Boston, MA02116 (617) [log in to unmask]