From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:50:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:46:39 -0400
From: Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Pre-Suez Cannel Maps of Egypt. <fwd>
Sender: Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>

Dear friends,

In addition to all the excellent suggestions already posted to the list, may
I also encourage interested parties to consult the Barrington Atlas of the
Greek and Roman World (R. Talbert, ed., Princeton, 2000). In particular,
there is Map 74 which covers the area of the Nile Delta and environs,
including much of the area affected by the Suez canal today. Essential too,
is consultation of that map's compiler's (A. Bernand) introduction, to be
found in the "Map-by-Map Directory" on CD-ROM or in the separate two volumes
of print, beginning on p. 1117. It discusses many of the issues affecting
Mr. Beatty's research. Some of the bibliography for the map -- also
contained in the Map-by-Map Directory -- may be of further help, for
example: J. Yoyotte, "Le Delta du Nil au temps des pharaons," L'Histoire 54
(1983) 52-62.

Considerable effort to restore landscape features to their ancient aspect
was undertaken for this map, and all available sources of information
(including earlier modern maps) were consulted as appropriate (thus,
throughout the atlas). Modern canals, dams and reservoirs were removed and,
insofar as possible, the ancient branches of the Nile were reconstructed.
Coastline change (seismic and alluvial) has been considered, as have the
effects of modern irrigation, farming, industry and civil engineering.

Care should be taken, however, for the map depicts reconstructed landscape
and culture during the period of Greek and Roman involvement in Egypt,
considerably later than the period of interest to Mr. Beatty. As a result,
landscape change earlier in antiquity may not have been addressed, and
Egyptian toponomy (and even whole earlier communities) may not appear.
Nonetheless, for some questions this map may be more helpful even than
pre-Suez-canal modern maps, because it reconstructs from all available
sources other features that had already disappeared prior to the making of
those maps, for example: the disappearance of the western-most (Kanobikos)
and eastern-most (Pelousiakos) branches of the Nile delta, perhaps as early
as the fifth century A.D.

Consultation of the neighboring maps in the atlas may also be appropriate,
depending on the area of interest.

Best,
Tom

Tom Elliott, M.A.