From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:08:47 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:22:53 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: we are safe so far
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Dear Friends and Family,

Map Division staff here at NYPL are ok,  Nancy was turned back in New
Jersey and never made it across the river. So she is home now. Matt is in
Brooklyn, and saw the second plane hit the World Trade building  as it
happened.He is staying put at home. Meera just came back, as she found the
Port Authority sealed off, so she cannot get home to New Jersey. No way off
Manhattan for the duration, which I hope is just for a few hours. We have
not heard from Alexandra Cabreja or the pages, and just hope they are home,
and not in a dark subway tunnel. Terry Sparks has not been heard from, and
I assume is on the Metro North commuter train somewhere in Connecticut.

I just walked up to the Library from 21st Street and Park, and people are
crying in the street, staring up, wondering, praying, yelling at the SOBs
who would do this to innocent people [mothers, sisters, daughters...he
screamed]. Most businesses are evacuating, and this is a problem, as all
the subways are down, the bridges are closed, and the buses quit running.
So it is difficult to get people out of Manhattan! But there is an amazing
stream of people just calmly heading north, walking home, if they can get
home. Then again, just a few minutes ago, people were screaming and running
in panic on Fifth Avenue in front of the Library.

The Library has been closed, but I am staying a while because the phone
still works here [I think we should stary open as a symbol of stability and
shelter, but I am about the only staffer who thought so!], but I will stay
here awhile.

We heard the Pentagon and State Dept. were hit also, and so suspect this
will mean war...sad, so sad.

I just heard that both world trade buildings are completely down. All those
people.
You probably know more than I do at this point.

Anyway, everybody, be safe. Talk to you later if we have news here.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027
--- End Forwarded Message ---