From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:16:34 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:32:22 -0400
From: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Map Copying Guidelines (fwd)

Colleagues -

Ahh, copying, the bane of our existence as curators of map collections!! If
I had my preference, every map we collected would be 8.5 x 11 (that's
inches!) and would be dated after 1995! Unfortunately, few collections have
either of those luxuries and the first question after you have found the
perfect map to answer your patrons query is: "Can I get a copy of this?"

Our policy at a small school in New England has gone from one of "No
Copying - No Way!" to one approaching generous flexibility addressed by Ron
below with a mix of a little in between. Our collection, like so many
others, includes materials which are considered rare and those we might
even consider expendable and a range of sizes from 2 inches square to 6
feet square and even larger. Copying is as much of a service as access is.
Most patrons understand when they are looking at a sixteenth century atlas
that they cannot take it down the hall and "flop it on the xerox" -
although you would be surprised at some people's reactions. For most small
current materials we do let our patrons take them down the hall and flop it
on the xerox. As the materials increase in size and, shall we say, mature
in age toward the early 20th century, we begin to impose greater
restrictions. Medium sized materials can be copied by Map Collection staff
at 11 x 17 size. Larger materials can be sent out to a commercial copying
firm (that picks up and delivers) and we "hand carry" rarer materials -
that we temporarily encapsulate - to the copying firm, wait for the copies,
and bring them back. Similar policies exist for books and atlases: current
ones are allowed to be copied down the hall while rarer materials can only
be copied in our Imaging Services Lab. All of these varying costs are
passed on to the user and it ranges from a mere 0.50 to $100.

This long explanation leads to the obvious conundrum: map collections that
do large amounts of copying should do their own in house. Unfortunately,
this requires staff time and, as technical solutions become more
sophisticated, it becomes more expensive. Because of the demand on our
collection we are seriously evaluating the acquisition of a large format
scanner so that we might offer greyscale and color scans of a significant
portion of our collection. Although scanners are not inexpensive (ca. $10K
or more) it may be a viable option for larger collections that have a high
demand for copies and with reasonable charges (ca. $5 greyscale and $10 for
color) costs could be recouped in 3-4 years. For example, we average ca.
15-20 oversized copies/week over the year. If we were to charge $10/copy,
and copy 15/week for 40 weeks that would be ca. $6K. Staff time could be
saved by "batching" copies to MWF afternoons also. This also assumes one
other small piece of equipment: a plotter! Fortunately, we have one already
but many libraries will have to invest in one soon in order to print many
of the maps from the 2000 Census.

These options may be realizable for only the larger research libraries but
I believe that many libraries can improve their copying services with
reasonable investments and reasonable charge backs. Until then, I admire
and value my 8.5 x 11 CIA maps!

David Cobb