From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:52:32 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:08:35 -0400
From: Kathleen Weessies <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Atlas theft alert

I recently discovered that our most valuable atlases are missing.  Judging
by the list below, the thief knew what he/she was doing, as only the very
most valuable items in the collection were taken.  Since I'm new in this
position, I can't say how long they have been missing.  Is there a place
where I can register these thefts that will alert book dealers?  The books
were in a restricted staff area within the always staffed map library,
behind a door that doesn't lock (but soon will).

G1019 .C57 1857.
Colton's General Atlas, Containing One Hundred And Seventy Steel Plate Maps
And Plans, On One Hundred Imperial Folio Sheets, By G. Woolworth Colton.
Accompanied By Descriptions, Geographical, Statistical, And Historical, By
Richard S. Fisher ...
   3 P. L., [282] P. Incl. 166 Maps (Part Col.) Front., Illus., Tables,
Diagrs. 44 X 37 Cm.
   Colton, G. Woolworth (George Woolworth), 1827-1901.
Same edition advertised at Bibliofind for $3,400.  Other eds listed from
$2,950-3,500.

G1019 .C57 1866.
Colton's General Atlas : Containing One Hundred And Eighty Steel Plate Maps
And Plans, On One Hundred And Nineteen Imperial Folio Sheets / Drawn By G.
Woolworth Colton.  Letterpress Descriptions, Geographical, Statistical, And
Historical, By Richard Swainson Fisher.
   2 P. L., [305] P. Incl. 180 Maps (Part Col.) Front. : Ill. ; 46 X 40 Cm.
   Colton, G. Woolworth (George Woolworth), 1827-1901.
   Value, see above

G1019 .F58 1861.
Johnson's New illustrated (steel plate) family atlas : with descriptions,
geographical, statistical and historical / compiled, drawn and engraved
under the supervision of J. H. Colton and A. J. Johnson, J.W. Willson./ By
Richard Swainson Fisher ... ; Maps Compiled And Drawn, And Engraved Under
The Supervision Of J. H. Colton And A. J. Johnson ...
   1 v. (various pagings) illus. (part. col.), col. maps. 47 cm.
   Johnson, A. J. (Alvin Jewett), 1827-1884.
   1862 edition listed on Bibliofind at $2,500.

G1019 .F58 1864.
Johnson's New Illustrated (Steel Plate) Family Atlas : With Physical
Geography And With Descriptions Geographical, Statistical And Historical,
Including The Latest Federal Census, A Geographical Index, And A
Chronological History Of The Civil War In America / By Richard Swainson
Fisher ... ; Maps Compiled And Drawn, And Engraved Under The Supervision Of
J. H. Colton And A. J. Johnson ...
   123 P., [102] P. Of Plates : Ill., Maps ; 48 Cm.
   Johnson, A. J. (Alvin Jewett), 1827-1884.
Three of same edition listed on Bibliofind for $1,500-2,250.

G1019 .J5 1866.
Johnson's New Illustrated Family Atlas Of The World ... With Physical
Geography, And With Descriptions, Geographical, Statistical And Historical,
Including The Latest Federal Census, And The Existing Religious
Denominations In The World.
   1 V. (Various Paging) Illus. 46 Cm.
   Johnson, A. J. (Alvin Jewett), 1827-1884.
   See above.  1867 edition listed at Bibliofind for $2,250.

G1413.I4 B4 1874.
County Atlas Of Ingham, Michigan : From Recent And Actual Surveys And
Records / Under The Superintendence Of F. W. Beers.
   104 P. : Maps (Part Col.) ; 41 X 34 Cm.
   Beers, F. W. (Frederick W.).

G1415 .W3 1876.
Atlas Of The State Of Wisconsin By C. D. Robinson [And Others] Drawn,
Compiled, And Edited By H. F. Walling.
   130 P. Col. Maps.
   Walling, Henry Francis, 1825-1888.

Kathleen Weessies