From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:19:37 -0400
Subject: RE: octagonal in Jacksonville Heights, FL.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:14:45 -0400
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum'" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

Dear Brandon

In addition to the previous information I sent, I would like to expand
on
Kent Lee's answer.  My naval source has confirmed that site was used for
practice runs for landing on aircraft carriers based at Mayport Naval
Station and during WWII for landings on short runways on Pacific
Islands.
Helicopters and other maneuvers needing precision landings later used
the
site.  Supposedly there was a radar tracking station there during the
early
Mercury Space Program.  Afterwards it was taken over by the Gulf
Stream-Turchin Inc.  This company disbanded in the 1980's.  The site is
higher than the surrounding area but not all of it is natural.  There
was
something hazardous buried  there that had to be removed before the land
could be developed.  The site is pretty well abandoned and from the air
only
the removal of the trees indicate that there were ever any runways
there.
For a while it was being used by sky diving clubs but became too
overgrown.
The latest info my source had, was the land was scheduled for housing
developments if some environmental and legal matters could be settled.
The
University of Florida Map & Imagery Library has the latest aerial photos
for
the area which were flown in 1993/4.  There were no houses at that time.
However, Jacksonville is growing rapidly so it could be covered with
houses
today.

There were over 100 Army Air Corps and Naval Air training fields in
Florida
during WWII.  This seems to one of those which, like so many have been
gobbled up by retirement homes.
Helen
HelenJane Armstrong PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Library
University of Florida
P.O.Box 117011
Gainesville, FL 32611-7011

Dear Brandon, List:

It's part of the now-closed Cecil Field Naval Air Station.  The
1:200,000 scale Soviet military topographic map (sheet H-17-XV)
identifies this feature as a small airfield.  (Soviet maps of US
military facilities are often great resources for this kind of
question.)  Quite possibly it was--perhaps some kind of short-runway
training field for practicing landings on aircraft carriers.  Some
references:

http://www.ghostbase.org/cecil/
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/cecil-field.htm

Also, the Orange Park Public Library people (a leisurely walking
distance from this site) are very helpful at 904-278-4752.

Best,

Kent

Kent D. Lee
President/CEO