From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:46:54 -0400
Subject: U of GA fire
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:34:35 -0400
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

Is my memory correct that the University of Georgia Map Library is
located
in the Science Building?  We saw the news release about the fire on Wed.
in
the Library Building with Government Documents and Rare Books.
Hopefully
there wasn't too much damage and hopefully the maps are in another
building.

I could have sent this directly to John Sutherland but I thought some of
you
would see the news release and think it was his Library.

It is always unsettling to hear about any fire in a Library.
HelenJane Armstrong PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Library
University of Florida
P.O.Box 117011
Gainesville, FL 32611-7011

Moderator Note:
      The Map Collection at the University of Georgia is in the Science
Library building and not the Main Library building where the fire
occured.  The fire appears to have been contained in the Government
Documents floor of the Main Library building.  However smoke was very
heavy in the entire building.  The extent of loss and when we can
re-open the building has not yet been determined.
Johnnie Sutherland
Moderator Maps-L,
Map Collection
University of Georgia Libraries