From:
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:33:17 -0500
Hello Darius:
      Jim is quite right about the SYMAP atlases.  I can remember going
to the University's one and only computer center, feeding in my cards,
and getting my first SYMAP map sometime in the middle 60's.  Bill Loy
did several SYMAP atlases in his work-up to the Atlas of Oregon.  These
were done for planning and teaching purposes, not for publication.  I do
not think any of Dr. Loy's SYMAP alone atlases were published.  I do
remember, and have a copy of: William G. Loy. “A Preliminary Atlas of
Oregon.”  It was published by the Geography Department, University of
Oregon, in 1972.  It is a 11 by 8 ˝ inch, around 162-page, plastic
spiral bound paperback book. In the rear pocket it has a county boundary
overlay sheet, titled ‘computer generalized map.’  BUT this atlas has
both computer and student-drafted maps, so it does not fall within the
critera.
      Several other Geographers were working with line-printer programs
and produced maps at about that time. I have seen published line-printer
map atlases from the University of Alabama and another University, maybe
Oklahoma or Nebraska.  In the University of Georgia Map Collection's
holdings, after a quick search, I find Neal Lineback's "The Map Abstract
of Criminal-Justice Information: Alabama." University of Alabama Press,
1976.  All the maps are SYMAP computer maps.
       Most of the SYMAP based atlases I have seen have at least one
drafted map which is to be used as a base map.

Johnnie Sutherland
Map Collection
University of Georgia Libraries