From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:18:07 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:24:07 +0100
From: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Reming, France (fwd)

Dear Peter Linberger:

Having waited for US colleagues to respond, it might be as well for a
European to throw something into the ring!

As usual with these (and genealogical) inquiries the phrase "somewhere near"
sends out a warning note to some of us accustomed to dealing with such
vaguely expressed questions.  Bearing in mind that Nancy was/is a large city
within 'Free France' (NB), are we talking 5 miles or 50?  In an airman's
circumstances (flying hundreds of miles in one sortie) 50 miles might not
unreasonably be considered "somewhere near" a place like Nancy.  And in
which direction from Nancy?   We are not informed.  I make a point of asking
this, because toponyms ending in Germanic 'ing' are found to the east and
northeast of Nancy.  Which begs the question: what rules out Rening [with
acute over the 'e'] located at 48 57N/06 51E (about 35 miles ENE of Nancy as
the crow might have flown)?

PS: The Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon, north London
[http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk] is well accustomed to tracing such events and
locations, should your airman wish to try a two-pronged (US and British)
approach.  Mr Peter J.V. Elliott is Senior Keeper, Dept of Research &
Information Services

Yours sincerely
Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)
http://www.rgs.org