From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:47:47 -0500
Subject:        Re: : Cataloging query England farming type map and bulletin]
Date:   Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:17:34 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Angie!

Interesting situation with these maps and their bulletins! I concur with
the other two respondents but also have my own thoughts. In particular,
since it sounds like the relationship between the Bulletin and the map
is a strong one (con one effectively use the map without further details
being in the accompanying bulletin or vice versa?) I would lean towards
cataloging these together in a single record and not creating two
separate ones. The linking relationships can be done easily in the MARC
format, and if at your institution the two items end up being housed
physically, with the same or with different call numbers, a note can
bring out this information too.

I agree that it sounds like the bulletins were published at the earlier
date and the maps were the reprints done in 1944. Again, this
information can be handled and linked within one record. Additionally, I
agree with Ken in that the whole business of what happened to the
original maps during WWII should be included in the record--that kind of
historical information could be an asset to the person using the
materials and/or the staff member helping someone get to those
materials. Good luck!

Paige