From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:11:18 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:51:15 -0500
From: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Scanning/Copying Guidelines?
Sender: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues:

With an eye toward expanding our scanning/copying services we in the Map
Collection are looking at developing policies that will govern both
copyright and non-copyright materials in our collections. Would anyone with
such written policies be willing to share those with us for reference and
review? We are interested in both public access scanning (i.e. a small
scanner that any patron can use without staff assistance) and/or scanning
that is controlled by staff which may include large format
scanning/copying? Any advice or suggestions from those with experience in
this area would also be greatly appreciated. We are developing a policy to
share with our Office of the General Counsel and would appreciate any
assistance from those who may have covered this ground already.

While the technology will now allow us to scan to print, or digital file, a
large proportion of our collections the digital world also complicates
access issues as I'm sure many of you are already aware. As usual, these
are interesting times in which we find ourselves trying to compile
guidelines to improve access and yet to maintain the bounds of legality.

David Cobb
David A. Cobb                                           Tel. 617.495.2417
Harvard Map Collection                          FAX  617.496.0440
Harvard College Library                         Email: [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02138                                     HTTP://hcl.harvard.edu/maps
--- End Forwarded Message ---