From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:02:51 -0500
Subject: RE: [Fwd: 10 degrees, or 156 1/4 leagues]
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:28:08 -0500
From: "Parker, Velma" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]"
<[log in to unmask]>,"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi,
I checked in both 'Dictionnaire unversel des poids et mesures ... /par
Horace Doursther' and in 'For good measure .../ William D Johnstone' and
found entries on leagues but there was no specific mention of Italian
leagues.
Johnstone states that the league varies from 2.5 to 4.5 statute miles
whereas, looking at Doursther's table, it varies from 1.37 (ancient
Gaul) to
6.9 (Norway & Westphalia. Other examples from Doursther:
England - 3 statue miles
France- 2.76 statue miles (lieue commune de 25 au degré) or 3.1 statute
miles (lieue de 22 2/9 au degré).

Maybe Paige's websites will help. If they do include early units of
measure
I would appreciate it if you would send them on to me as well.

If all else fails, you can use the lines of latitude to calculate the
scale.
It is easiest to use a map scale indicator, but if you don't have one,
the
formula is in 'Cartographic materials : a manual of interpretation for
AACR2' on p. 170.  It is the number of centimetre on the map for one
degree
of latitude divided by 11,000,000.

Good luck
Velma Parker