From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:37:23 -0500
Subject: 1831 Vandermaelen
   Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:30:38 -0600
   From: "Joseph A. Pachnowski" <[log in to unmask]>

          Many years ago, (pre pre internet) I attempted to research a
Philippe Vandermaelen or Vander Maelen 1831 map of North America titled
L’AMERIQUE that has been in the family for over forty years. At that
time I became aware that Vandermaelen had published an atlas with four
hundred maps and assumed my map was part of that world map. Many, many
years have past since I attempted to again find out the history of my
map. I recently conducted research on the internet and found out the
world map was published in 1825-27 and measured approximately 18” x 19”.
My map is a case/pocket (marked #7) linen backed folding map containing
sixteen 12” x 15” panels. When open the map is  49” x 60”. I can not
locate any information about any Vandermaelen maps of the size I have.
There is an 1831 Vandermaelen map in the NY City library but not sixteen
panels. I even did a search in OldMaps.com and Jolly (1989 – 1998 only
volumes in the Phil. library) and no record a map, the size of mine has
been on the market.

     I would appreciate any suggestions you could offer in assisting me
in documenting my 1831 Vandermaelen North America map. I have five
photos of my map I can e-mail as an attachment.

     I thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

"Joseph A. Pachnowski" <[log in to unmask]>