From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:34:41 -0500
Subject: Large format color scanner query - summary
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:57:23 -0000
From: Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Maps-l,

I'm very grateful to all those who kindly responded to my request for advice
on large-format scanners. We're still making up our mind and arraging to
view models in operation, but in case its helpful for anyone else in our
situation, I thought I would briefly summarise what I was sent for the list.

High-specification overhead digital cameras may offer a technologically and
archivally superior way of scanning large documents, but at a price. The
Jumboscan from Lumiere Technology, (www.jumboscan.com), recently acquired by
the Library of Congress can cost approximately:
scanning head - £25,000
lighting - £10-12,000
stand, etc. - £3-4,000

whilst a 36-42" 400dpi colour sheet feed scanner can cost approximately a
third to a half of this price.

Sheet-feed scanners or shredders?
---------------------------------

In the past there have been reported problems of sheet-feed scanners
damaging and shredding documents, but these now seem to be largely overcome.
Contex scanners automatically stop if the sheet is grabbed or if it is not
straight, and this may be true of other scanners. Damage was only reported
occasionally for very flimsy or damaged items, and these could be overcome
by scanning them in a mylar sleeve.

Within the sheet-feed scanner range, the replies I received indicated that
Contex currently have the greatest uptake and favourable reports, followed
by Colortrac. However, integrated scanning/printing packages from
Hewlett-Packard, Oce, and Xerox may be better, certainly if a complete
scan-to-print solution is needed. Several recommended the advantages of
purchasing support at the time of acquisition.

I have tried to summarise responses by vendor below, bearing in mind our
primary interest in a 400 dpi colour sheet-feed scanner, that can scan
sheets up to 34 x 48" in size. Prices vary primarily according to:

- scan width
- colour, geyscale or mono
- optical resolution
- speed of scan
- document thickness

Other factors distinguishing price are the interface, colour calibration,
colour bit depth, warm-up time, and other time-saving features. The prices
below are standard recent list prices to give a general rough figure, and
exclude stands, peripherals, software, maintenance, etc, often another
10-30% on top of these prices. Very good-value discounts can often be found
from these prices through special deals, including purchasing
ex-demonstration models, or through trade-in arragements.

Colortrac (Action Imaging) - (www.action-imaging.com)
---------

36", 42" and larger width scanners, at 300 and 400 dpi. Easy to use, and
purchased support reported to be good (TASI). However, several reported
problems:

- streaking (white target with speck of dust on it) - required careful
cleaning (TASI),
- bleeding (lines of various colours towards end of scan) - Univ. of
Cincinnati
- scanner stopping/shutting down unpredictably - Univ. of Cincinnati/AGS
Wisconsin-Milwaukee

3680e - 36" 400 dpi 2 ips - £10,795
4260e - 42" 300 dpi 1.3 ips - £9,995
4280e - 42" 400 dpi 1.5 ips - £12,495

[All these dpi and speed figures relate to colour scanning]

Contex (US distributor - Ideal) - (www.ideal.com)
-------

36", 42" and larger width scanners, at 300 and 400 dpi. Reported by several
to be the market leaders in sheet-feed large-formt scanning, and Contex
scanning technology is used within Oce and Hewlett-Packard scanners. Good
reports on these scanners from Auburn Univ., Liverpool Univ., Miami Univ.,
Ohio, Stanford Univ., Univ. of Texas at Austin.

Fewer reported problems than Colortrac:

- colour calibration, and pinkish tinge to items scanned in mylar (Univ. of
Texas at Austin) - although with now discontinued Magnum 40"

Cougar TX 36 - 36" 400 dpi (1.5 ips) - £11,895
Crystal TX 40 - 40" 400 dpi (0.6 ips) - £10,395
Chroma TX 40 - 40" 400 dpi (1.5 ips) - £16,395

Hewlett-Packard (www.designjet.hp.com)
---------------

Have sold 42" scanner from 2002, often bundled with large-format inkjet
printer as the 815mfp

4200 - 42" 400 dpi (1.5 ips) - ca. £14,000

Oce (www.oce.co.uk)
---

Relatively new range of large-format scanners, often purchased as integrated
scanner/printer hybrid packages. Colour scan-to-file available from December
2003.

CS 4035 36" 400 dpi (0.8m/min) - ca. £9,590
CS 4036 36" 400 dpi (2.3m/min) - ca. £10,764

Vidar (www.vidar.com)
-----

Taken over by Contex in June 2002, also offer 36", 42" and larger width
scanners, at 300 and 400 dpi. Good reports from Harvard and Novacell.

Xerox (www.xerox.com)
------

Often bundled as part of the XES8825, 8830 and 8850 printers with Synergix
Scan System. Used successfully by SW Misouri State Univ.

40" 400 dpi (2 ips) - ca. £11-12,000

---

Chris

Christopher Fleet