From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 12:27:58 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Help with map identification

Hello, colleagues.

In cataloging some maps, I have encountered a map that is copied from a
printed original, and I am trying to identify that printed original, with
limited success.

The source appears to be a thematic atlas of Florida.  The map I have
reads:  "15.  Natural Vegetation".  Its legend includes 16 categories of
vegetation types, starting with 1 -- Northern grassy longleaf pine forest,
and concluding with 16 -- Coastal marshes, strands, and dunes.  It
includes a brief text discussing the origins of Florida's unique
vegetation patterns, and below that are four illustrations, probably in
color, showing "Beach Vegetation, Flatwoods, Cypress Swamp, [and]
Grassland".  It is about 35 cm. in height, and appears to be on the recto
of a page, with 15 at the lower right corner.  A bar scale shows somewhat
more than 1 inch to 50 miles; the natural scale indicator shows
ca. 1:3,000,000.  The type faces are of various sans serif fonts.

A note gives the source of the map data:  "Source:  Based on a map by John
H. Davis, Department of Botany, University of Florida".  This map is
General map of natural vegetation of Florida, 1967.  Thus, we have a date
clue for the map copy, after 1967.

A good candidate for the original of the map in hand could be The New
Florida Atlas, by Wood and Fernald, 1974.  This atlas is listed in our
collection, but I cannot track it to ground.  I would very much appreciate
it if someone with this atlas in the collection could see if it includes a
map as described above.  If it does not, that too would be useful
information.

Ken
Ken Grabach
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA