From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 06:04:55 -0500
maps-l        maps-l           maps-l
    Date: Tues, 17 May 2005
    From: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Looking for Details of Globe Construction

> From: "Francis Herbert"
>
> I crib, and copy, from Tony Campbell's 'History of Cartography' gateway
> site, and recommend you interrogate the International Coronelli
> Society:-

Thanks! IF you search for globes online, the www.coronelli.org site comes
up pretty quick. But you can search a lot of sites and learn a lot about
globes (and especially where to buy them) without learning anything about
how to build one.

After grilling Google with search terms that include 'globe', 'globes'
(these actually return different results) paired with words line 'build',
'construction' and 'making' I found the following sites and found what I
needed for starters. Then I added search terms like 'paper mache' and
'papier mache' with terms like 'chalk' and 'plaster' and started moving
into some actual techniques that one might need to actually build one.

But for anyone who's interested, here's what I found.

The History, Technology and Care of Globes
http://www.si.edu/scmre/relact/globes.htm
A very good, scholarly article about globes (particularly Juvet's globes)
that includes descriptions of how globes were actually built.

James Wilson and Provincial Cartography in the United States
http://www.common-place.org/vol-04/no-02/jaffee/jaffee-2.shtml
This is the story of the first American globe maker, James Wilson. Among
other things, it describes how he built his first globes. This guy built
EVERYTHING himself, except maybe the paper!

Make Your Own Globe
http://octopus.gma.org/surfing/imaging/globe.html
Describe show to make the gores for a globe built around a ball (You need
to bring your own ball.)

Caring for Globes
http://www.preservation.gc.ca/howto/articles/globes_e.asp
In the discussion of caring for globes there are descriptions of how they
are made and the materials used.

The Giant Paper Mache Globe
http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/globe/globe.html
Describes how to build a 31-inch globe out of a balloon and paper mache.
Includes pictures. Not a thing of beauty, but impressive and cheap!

Papier Mache Globe
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/globe/
A How To for kids on building a globe out of papier mache.

- Bill Thoen