From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 09:27:26 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: L.C. versus Dewey
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:13:24 +0100
From: "Alan Magnus-Bennett" <[log in to unmask]>

Help!  or do I really need any?

I have quite a small collection of maps under my charge in my
institution compared to some US collections and which, at present is
being thinned out even more.  Most of the world maps have gone, large
scale maps are now restricted to local and regional area with small
scale maps preferred in the folded format.  Geology and landform maps
have been expanded where possible but still only UK wide.

I have never been trained in cartography or map librarianship during
the 21years plus I have been doing this job in the same place of
employment.  My map data is my own invention using Excell, as some of
you may have guessed from my surplus map lists.  I have heard of
Dewey as a means to a database end in our book library, but that is
all I know of it.

Am I supposed to have a better plan than the one I use to record the
maps in my care.  If so, then would someone enlighten me and if you
are in the UK inform me where I can get some training for this
please.

Regards,

Alan

On 17 May 05, at 20:20, Angie Cope wrote:

> maps-l     maps-l          maps-l
> Date: Wed, 18 May 2005
> From: Maura O'Connor
> Subject: RE: MAPS-L:  L.C. versus Dewey
>

> Dear Maps-L
>
> At the NLA we use LC G schedule classification for the modern maps
> (post 1900) and a numerus currens system for our rare material.  When
> I first started at the Library many years ago we also provided a Boggs
> and Lewis number.  That has not been used for about 18 years because
> the system is not regularly updated.
>
> Dewey and to some extent B&L are subject based, while LC G schedule is
> geographically based, with a subject component within.  This lends
> itself more readily and sensibly to maps. LC is also regulalry updated
> which is a bonus. I am aware there are other systems available, eg the
> British military also have a scheme, but I am not totally familiar
> with them.
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Maura O'Connor
> Map Curator
> National Library of Australia
> Canberra  ACT  2600
> Phone : 61 2 6262 1280
> Fax: 61 2 6161 1653
> Email : [log in to unmask]

Alan Magnus-Bennett
Cartographer and Map Librarian.
Dept.of Applied Sciences, Geography and Archeaology
University College Worcester.
Henwick Grove.
Worcester.
WR2 6AJ.