Sender:
From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:46:17 -0400
Subject: Re: GMD for maps
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:22:37 -0400
From: pga2 <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Chris,

I'll keep this short and let others pitch in. The use or
non-use of the GMD follows somewhat from what OCLC says we
should/should not do and follows LC practice, which has
always been not to use it at their institution (the two
things are linked because of this). The GMD is an Optional
subfield and always has been, therefore folks could choose
to use or not use on their own. Until a year or so ago I was
a consistent user of the GMD because at least in our OPAC
display the term "cartographic material" (formerly "map")
was helpful in a longer list of titles retrieved. However,
OCLC says that we should NOT use the GMD for cart. materials
when inputting a master record into WorldCat, and its
because of LC's local policy.

As to the period showing up before $h in some records, this
is not correct punctuation but in many cases is due to
records being uploaded into OCLC's Worldcat from a local
system and that local system doing the inputting of this and
other goofy punctuation (and alternately, as our system
does, stripping out some or all of the coded fields and call
number). Look at the Encoding Level fixed field and see if
it is coded "M", if it is then this is the cause of the
punctuation "goof". ISBD punctuation standard says no
punctuation before the $h unless you are using a $p or $n as
part of the title.

Paige